This series provides an opportunity to highlight the research conducted by the faculty, staff and visiting researches at the Center for the IE community at F&ES. The talks are held during Friday lunch with time for Q&A and feedback from the audience.
April 9, 2021 - 8:00am to 9:00am
March 26, 2021 - 8:00am to 9:00am
March 19, 2021 - 8:00am to 9:00am
March 12, 2021 - 7:00am to 8:00am
March 5, 2021 - 7:00am to 8:00am
February 19, 2021 - 7:00am to 8:00am
November 13, 2020 - 7:00am to 8:00am
October 23, 2020 - 8:00am to 9:00am
October 23, 2020 - 8:00am to 9:00am
October 9, 2020 - 8:00am to 9:00am
Past CIE Lunchtime Series Talks Fall 2017 to Fall 2020
- Collaborations in and contributions to the field of industrial ecology,
- Paul Hoekman, Executive Director, International Society for Industrial Ecology
- Resource Efficiency Strategies to Mitigate GHG Emissions from Homes and Cars, Professor Edgar Hertwich, NTNU.
- Characterizing the Materials Footprint of a Univesity Campus, Rachel Perlman, PhD Candidate, MIT
- Accelerating the transition to low carbon industrial systems,
- Daniel Cooper PhD, University of Michigan,
- Riding the Circular Economy Wave, Stijn Van Ewijk, Postdoctoral Associate
- Stakeholders’ behaviors in bioenergy development and waste management: incentives and business model, Professor Tingting Liu, Visiting Fellow
- On Demand Manufacturing – Real Opportunity or Fiction, Monica Magdas Miller, Founder/ CEO – Iconoclast Studio and Santicle
- Drivers of change in residential energy consumption in the US. Investigating the roles of evolving housing age cohorts, fuel switching, and household size, Peter Berrill, PhD candidate
- Energy and resource benefits of metal recycling, Barbara Reck, Senior Research Scientist
- Sustainability Implications of Consumer Electronics Adoption in the United States, Shahana Althaf, Posdoctoral Associate
- Why have greenhouse gas emission from material production doubled since 2000 and how can they be brought under control?, Professor Edgar Hertwich
- Re-examining the climate–trade dilemma and recourse nexus in China, Prof. Xu Tang, Visiting Fulbright Fellow
- Research methods to quantify the consumption of non-metallic minerals used in constructions, Alessio Miatto, Postdoctoral Associate
- Copper contamination in end-of-life steel recycling: developing a new strategy from million-tonnes to milligrams, Katie Daehn, PhD candidate
- IoT& Data in the Context of Smart Buildings and Smart Cities : Micro to Macro, Prof. Sekhar Kondepudi, Director, MSc in Environmental Management (MEM) Program, National University of Singapore
- Oil Abundance: New Climate Strategies for 21st Century Unconventional Energy Resources, Deborah Gordon, Director, Energy and Climate Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
- Anyone Want my Half Eaten Artisanal Sandwich?: Food in the Sharing Economy, Tamar Makov, PhD candidate.
- Urban Mining towards Environmental and Resource Sustainability: Science, Technology and Policy, Dr. Xianlai Zeng, Fulbright Visiting Fellow, from Tsinghua University.
- Introduction to Green Chemistry through the Green ChemisTREE, Hanno Erythropel,Postdoctoral Associate, and Laurene Petitjean, PhD candidate, from the Center for Green Chemistry and Green Engineering
- Just Transitions and Socio-Metabolic Transformation: Learning Lessons from the Global Renewable Energy Transition, Mark Swilling, Professor of Sustainable Development in the School of Public Leadership, Stellenbosch University.
- Applied LCA: Climate Mitigation for Passenger Vehicles, Qinghsi Tu, Postdoctoral Associate
- Life Cycle Assessment in the Chinese Auto Industry, Xin Sun, Chinese Automotive Technology and Resource Center
- Incorporating Use of Capital into US Environmentally Extended Input-Output Analysis, Peter Berrill and Reed Miller, PhD candidates
- The Rectangular Choice-of-Technologies Model: Resource Scarcity, Stock-Flow Dynamics, and Recycling
- Potential in an Input-Output Context, Nathaniel Springer, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Industry and Climate Change Mitigation, Prof. Edgar Hertwich
- Bayesian Inference in Surface Water Quality Modeling, Farnaz Nojavan, Postdoctoral Associate
- LCA as a Decision Aid: Bridging the Academic - Business Divide, Thomas Swarr, Lecturer
- Experiences from the Metal Industry, Galdino Claro, former CEO of Sims Metal Managements
- Making the Invisible Visible: The Challenge of Quantifying the Climate Impact of Corporations, Suzanne Greene, Environmental Scientist, MIT
- How Blockchain will Transform the Trade of used Electronics, Rohi Sukhia, founder and CEO of Tradeloop Corporation
- Why Do We Recycle? Disciplinary Questions on Sustainable Municipal Waste Management, Samantha MacBride, Director of Research and Operations at the Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability, NYC Department of Sanitation